If you follow the book blogger, The Modern Mrs. Darcy, you have been anticipating her annual “What’s Saving My Life Right Now” post as much as I have. For those who are not as familiar with this tradition, she encourages her readers to think about things – both big and small – that are saving us all right now in our daily lives. Not only do I look forward to her list, but also to the hundreds of readers who post their own lists in the comments section.
I didn’t want to miss out on the fun, so I’ve created my own list. These are in no particular order of priority, but they are all of great importance to me.
- Lou & Grey for LOFT – This clothing line is perfect for the casual, work-from-home professional who wants to look cute on Zoom and remain comfortable. I can’t say enough about their leggings. I recently splurged for the softest, lime green hoodie that I’ve decided to be buried in when I die. The other reason I love these clothes is that I am currently at my pandemic weight. In the past, I’ve managed to shed the baby weight and the holiday weight, but this pandemic weight gain is so much harder to lose. Therefore, jeans – or hard pants – are not fitting my body so well these days. Enter Lou & Grey, which is saving my life right now.
- Fleece blankets – For Hanukkah, I asked for a blanket that I could comfortably throw over my legs while sitting on the couch, reading a book, and drinking my coffee. Apparently, it was inferred that I wanted a weighted blanket. While I know there are plenty of benefits to this kind of blanket, I was thinking of something more soft and cozy. I now own three of them.
- Trader Joe’s – I am a little anxious about going to the grocery store, mainly because of the shopping carts. Everybody is touching them and breathing on them. The big supermarkets are not doing enough to protect their clientele (in my opinion), and they aren’t very generous with the wipes and spray bottles. I appreciate Trader Joe’s for their commitment to keeping us all healthy – not only with their food but also their service. At my local store, someone stands outside and wipes down each cart well. They also keep track of how many people are in the store at a time so that social distancing can be adhered to. Of course, I also love TJ for their amazing food and low point Weight Watchers items. And, they have a fantastic display of the fourth thing that is saving me right now…
- Fresh flowers – As soon as I walk into my Trader Joe’s, there is a wall of fresh flowers welcoming me and beckoning me to take them home. I love having fresh flowers in the house. They brighten up the room and my mood. The ones I buy are not ridiculously expensive and have lasted for up to two weeks.
- Reading – There will be a longer post about my reading habits in the near future, but for the purpose of this list, I’ll say that getting away from my cell phone, laptop, desktop, and television with an excellent book is soothing to me. I used to worry about my kids and their screen time, but now I am concerned about my own.
- Honorable mentions – My family. My dog. Hello Fresh. Jigsaw puzzles. Cozy pajamas. Coffee (and all hot beverages). Joe Biden. Randy Rainbow. The Holderness Family videos. And, the NYT Tiles game.
Ok, it’s your turn. Please tell me what things are saving your life right now. And don’t forget to check out Modern Mrs. Darcy’s “What’s Saving Your Life Right Now?” post to see where this all began.